Feb 1, 2021
A Healthy (& Romantic) Dinner Recipe for Two
In our home, pasta is a comfort food that brings us a lot of joy. I hope it brings you joy, too.
Let's get cooking.
There's something so incredibly beautiful about food and the act of cooking with the people you love. It has this magical ability to not only bring people together, but bring them together in a way that is intentional and mindful.
My fiancé and I have been together for 10 years now, and the first meal he ever made for me was his signature pasta and let me tell you, it was such a beautiful experience to both watch and eat.
Over the last couple of years, his original penne pasta with arrabbiata sauce has evolved into something so delicious it melts our heart every time we get to eat it. So, pour yourself a glass of wine and get ready to start cooking. We're pretty positive this recipe will not disappoint.
Healthy Kale Chicken Pasta
What You'll Need
- 1 pound Skinless/Boneless Chicken Breast (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 TBSP Szeged Chicken Rub (Best. Chicken. Rub. Ever.)
- 1 bushel of chopped Kale, stems removed
- De Cecco Penne Noodles (we also like to sub these Gluten Free Noodles)
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to taste
- Arrabiatta (spicy tomato) Sauce (this is our all time favorite); if you don't like the spice, a regular marinara will do!
- 6-8 Cloves of Garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP Olive Oil,
1) Preheat your oven to 350. While oven is preheating, squeeze one half of a lemon into a small bowl, add equal parts olive oil (should be about 1/4 cup). Add in the spice blend and mix together thoroughly.
2) Before adding the lemon/olive oil blend to the chicken, add the chicken to a small baking dish, tenderize each side of the chicken breasts with a fork and add in the lemon/olive oil/ spice blend. Place in oven and cook for 1 hour. Once cooked completely, shred with a fork (our favorite) or slice into 1/4 inch slices.
3) Prep your sauce.
4) Heat your olive oil over low-medium heat. Once heated thoroughly, add in your pressed or minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until very fragrant.
5) Add in your chopped kale and sauté with the garlic for another 3-5 minutes, or until it softens. Add in red wine and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
6) Add in the entire jar of pasta sauce and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add in red pepper flakes and a few shakes of cayenne pepper to taste if you want added spice.
7. While the sauce is simmering, prep the noodles according to the directions on the box.
8. Add chicken to sauce and mix together and serve over noodles. Drizzle with olive oil and top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to your liking.
9. Pour yourself and your partner a glass of a nice red wine, and enjoy!
Written by Kara Montgomery
Kara believes the small choices of what we expose ourselves to on a day-to-day basis have a profound impact on our overall health. As a published neurotoxicology researcher, Kara has participated in studies that examined the link between pesticides and Parkinson’s disease, which have garnered around $1 million in NIH funding. With this knowledge, Kara takes a critical eye to the products and habits all of us engage with on a regular basis. She holds a BS in Neuroscience from King University.