Learn How to Meditate for Your Health
Posted on August 07, 2017
If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to meditate, you’re in luck. In this “Guide to Meditation,” we walk you through a few simple steps to get you started down the path towards mindfulness meditation that will help your state of mind.
The goal of this type of wellness meditation is to become more present in the moment, without judgment. As you continue to practice, this state of mindfulness and being more present gradually transfers over to the rest of your day. The benefits include increased calmness and happiness, as well as feeling more energized.
Learning how to meditate is one of those essential skills because it can have such a positive effect on your own outlook and interactions with others.
8 easy steps to learn how to meditate mindfully
- Find a comfortable position – Meditation is typically done in a seated position, often with the legs crossed. You should sit tall, focusing on making your spine as long as you can. The key here is to be comfortable, but not so comfortable that you end up taking a nap rather than meditating.
- Relax your body – Close your eyes and begin to slowly relax your body. You can make your way from your head to your toes or from the toes up, imagining each body part releasing any tension.
- Be still – During your meditation, you want to keep the body as quiet as possible. However, don’t worry if you need to move a bit or make some adjustments. Remember you do want to be comfortable!
- Focus on your breath – Once you have found a quiet and comfortable position, draw your attention to your breath. While you do want to breathe deeply, do not try to force it or make it too loud. If you can, gently close the mouth and breathe in and out through the nose in a slow and steady rhythm.
- Find a mantra – A mantra is a phrase you repeat to yourself over and over during your meditation. It can have purpose (such as a focus for your meditation), or it can simply be a phrase just to keep you focused and in the moment. You don’t have to repeat the mantra out loud – rather, you can repeat it softly to yourself in your mind. Choose the approach that makes you feel the most comfortable and the most present in the moment.
- Calm your mind – As you repeat your mantra, you will notice your mind calming. You will, of course, still have thoughts, and there is nothing wrong with this. Simply acknowledge and observe the thoughts as they arise. If you do find your mind wandering, accept it, reset your breath, and try to draw your focus back on the present.
- Start small – There is no pressure as you start to test out the waters for wellness meditation. As little as 5 minutes a day can start to reap benefits for you. Find an amount of time that feels good for you. If you simply can’t focus anymore and are itching to end your practice, then it’s time to stop. You will likely add time as you get used to it.
- You can’t mess up – The best part about meditation is that you simply can’t do it wrong. While these tips are a guide to get you started, there really is no wrong way to meditate. If the desire and intention are there, then any way you choose to go about it can be beneficial for you. There are no expectations. Just enjoy it.
Accessories to help meditationSome people find meditation more enjoyable when they incorporate some additional elements to create a mood and environment more conducive to relaxation. From soothing music to candles, there are many ways to create a peaceful atmosphere to encourage calmness. Some people enjoy incorporating essential oils to set the right mood for their practice. Have fun experimenting with different ways to customize your meditation for your personality and style.